Friday, February 24, 2023

Cancer and Steroids

Scripter of the Day

But you, O Lord,  are a shield for me, my glory and the one who lifts up my head.

Psalm 3:3

   
  I have been listening to my friend who is fighting cancer again talking about being on steroids and the responses she's getting from others that have been on steroids for a number of reasons.  I didn't think I had ever been, but in researching my own chemotherapy drugs it turns out that I was . Some of the side effects of steroids are increased appetite, acne, rapid mood swings, easily bruised, muscle weakness and slow wound healing. I do remember some of this. The muscle weakness was so bad that we bought another car that I could get into and out of more easily.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/drugs/steroids In this website, I found what steroids are supposed to do for the cancer patient. One of these are contradictory. On one site its say s that increases appetite and on this one it says it improves the appetite
    
  • treat the cancer itself
  • reduce inflammation
  • help prevent an allergic reaction to cancer treatments
  • reduce your body’s immune response, for example after a bone marrow transplant
  • help reduce sickness when having cancer treatment
  • improve your appetite
I am not promoting the use of steroids, just hoping to give better understanding of what they are supposed to do for the cancer patient. I would certainly discuss with you doctor about the use of steroids in your program. Never be afraid to ask question.
    
    If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless with his healing touch. I know he loves you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment