Sunday, February 28, 2016

Increased Mastectomies


Scripture off the Day: 
          I am the light of the world. He who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
John 8:12




According to the ABC News, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of mastectomies. Although breast cancer rates remained the same, the rate of women getting mastectomies increased 36 percent from 2005 to 2013, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Health and. Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Overall, the rate of mastectomies increased from 66 in 100,000 women in 2005 to 90 in 100,000 women in 2013. Women getting double mastectomies more than tripled, going from nine out of 100,000 women in 2005 to 30 out of 100,000 women in 2013. As a result, one third of all mastectomies were double mastectomies in 2013.

The above are direct quotes from the ABC News clip that I heard watching the news. So I went looking for the article:
Mastectomies Have Increased

I am not surprised to hear this. I know that Angelina Jolie and Sharon Osborn chose mastectomies to prevent the breast cancer. I can tell you that I had a double mastectomy even though I only had breast cancer on the right side. 

I'm certainly not trying to advocate this choice. Everyone has to address their breast cancer in a way they can live with. But I have to say, having now done it, I'm glad I did. Mastectomies are not easy to go through. I found part of the process very painful. I'd hate to think that 2 or 3 years down the road I'd have to do it again when the other breast contracted the cancer. Now I don't have to worry about it. 

My mother talked to her own doctor about it. Obviously, she was worried about me. She told me that her doctor believed I'd made a good choice in having the double. Almost 5 years later, I do too. 

Please understand, I am not saying that the mastectomy is right for you. I have several friends that went with the lumpectomy and radiation and are doing fine. One friend did that as recently as last Monday (2/22/16). But I strongly believe that if you're going the route of a mastectomy, getting them both done at once. 


I have read the book entitled Recovering Emotionally After a Mastectomy by Trish Duke. It can be found on my shop page for only $2.99. It is an easy read. I read it all in a couple of hours. It had some interesting things in it and a couple that I am already doing and didn't know I was doing something proven to be good.        

Please look at the prayer list page on the right side of the blog and add those people to your prayer list. I believe in the power of prayer and we can all use them


If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you in your travels.


I maintain a 2nd blog called Gammie's Corner. This blog includes crafts, food, travel and ideas that keep me entertained in my retirement. 

Gammie's Corner 





No comments:

Post a Comment