Saturday, September 3, 2016

Breast Reconstruction.

Scripture of the Day:

2 Thessalonians 3:16

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.


I had several choices about what to do after my double mastectomy. A quick note...I chose the double even though only one side was affected. The first choice I was given was to do nothing. I would just be flat chested and then use prosthetics to add to my bra. They showed me the prosthetic and let me hold it. I was surprised at how heavy it was. I spoke with a relative that said it was always an effort to get them in the bra right and even. So I decided that wasn't for me. I have to say now 5 years later, if just being flat chested and not worrying about a bra at all is what I should have done. I really hate wearing one and always have. 

My second choice was implants. This is actually what I chose to do. But then there are a choice of implants. Those made with saline and those made of silicon. If there are more types, I wasn't told of them. I was bound and determined that I wanted the saline. In my mind that is the most natural. However, my plastic surgeon finally convinced me that I would not be happy using those. He said the silicon would feel more natural. My original fear was if the implant sprang a leak all that stuff would go into my body. I felt saline would be more natural if it sprung a leak. But, so far, so good with the silicon choice.

Going for the implants started with my original surgery. The general surgeon removed the breast and the plastic surgeon installed tissue expanders. So after surgery, I was not completely flat chested. Once that was done, I would visit my plastic surgeon once a month and he would pump fluid into the expanders to stretch my skin. Once the skin was stretched to his satisfaction, I went in to surgery again and the implants were put in. This evolution took approximately 8 months. 

The third choice was complete breast reconstruction. They would take skin and tissue from your stomach and mold into a breast.They would have to spend time to attach blood vessels so that the blood would circulate as a normal vein in the breast. Although, this may have been the best option, because I would've gotten a tummy-tuck at the same time, it would have been 12 hours in surgery. I didn't feel like I wanted to do that or put my family through it for that long a time. 

This topic came up when I found a website  discussing this issue or step in the breast cancer recovery. 

This site goes into the options in depth and offers links to sites with more information. 

Again, if you have a name that you would like me to add to my prayer list just leave me a message. Please include the ones that are already there on yours. 

If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with His healing touch. I know  He loves you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment