Monday, September 12, 2016

Care Package for a Chemo Patient

Scripture of the Day:

Psalm 97:1

The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice



Care Package for a Chemo Patient

I never received a care package per se. I didn't know I could use one. But I really could and if you know someone that is going through chemo treatments, you may consider putting together a care package for them. 

I can tell you that I spent at least 5 hours sitting while the chemo treatment was being administered. I know that other stages and types of cancer can sit a whole lot longer. My treatment center had a television and I brought a book. I was able to sleep some. But you might consider books, magazines, crossword puzzles or something like that for you friend or loved one. 

It didn't take me long to start losing my hair. Not all chemo therapy causes hair loss, but if you friend or loved one is going to lose their hair, scarves or beanies may be a good purchase. I did have several give me those and I loved every one of them. (You may want to have the patient check with their insurance company. One wig was covered under my insurance).

There will be occasions when they will be sick. You may not want to leave them alone during that time. I could hardly make it to the bathroom and back. 

Another thing that happened to me is I developed burns on the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet. I put on heavy lotion and wore gloves and socks to bed so I wouldn't make a mess. So your care package could include gloves and socks and heavy lotions. I used lanolin. 

You can also buy ready made care packages. 
The Big Queasy Crap I looked at several. I particularly like this one. There also some for men. Kids Activity Gift Basket
This one has things for a child to do while sitting through the chemo administration. These ready-made can be quite expensive. But maybe you could look for them to get ideas. 
There are also links out there just with ideas for a care package. 

This is not going to be an easy time for cancer patients to go through. I would suggest just be there often and listen to what they say, their complaints. You may get another idea how to ease the event. 

If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with His healing touch. I know He loves you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment