Friday, October 12, 2018

Can You Prevent Breast Cancer from Coming Back With Foods?


Scripture of the Day
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort where with we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ
II Corinthians 1:3-5


Picture taken from Women's Lifestyle. com

Can You Prevent Breast Cancer from Coming Back With Foods?

Up until now, I'm not sure how much I believed that. But in looking at my own situation and reading some of these articles, I wonder. I began eating better simply because I wanted to lose weight. Chemo-therapy does not make you lose weight like you might think. At least, mine didn't with the specific chemicals used on me. I also have breast cancer friends that swear by it. 

In looking at the food possibilities, I found that I'm eating that way anyway. So if it is true, I'm doing a reasonably good job of preventing it from coming back without even knowing it. 

The first suggested supplement was Vitamin D. The article suggested amounts to take to make it the most useful to a breast cancer survivor. I know my oncologist checks my Vitamin D intake at every visit. I started in the beginning take extra over and above what is in my multi-vitamin. She ended up telling me to stop, that my multi-vitamin is enough. I would suggest checking with your doctor before you start increasing any dosage.

This article suggests Omega-3 Fatty Acids. One of the things that is supposed to help with is fatigue and reduces inflammation. I do take an Omega 3 in the form of fish oil.  Again. check with your doctor. My oncologist knows every supplement that I take. 

Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, have shown antitumor activity. There were more technical names for what these vegetables do. I find that I need to improve in this area. 


Scutellaria barbata is an herb that grows in Korea and southern China. An extract of this plant has been shown to be safe in a clinical trial of women with advanced breast cancer; it inhibits cell proliferation and induces cancer cell death. 
(13 Supplements to Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence.) This is the website for all that I am discussing here. I don't what this is and I've never heard of it. I would definately check with my oncologist if I wanted to follow this regimen. 
Another supplement is Green Tea Extract. It is suggested for it's antioxidants. Have you heard that term before? It's often used in healthy eating and weight loss diets. 
Another that I take is melatonin. I was surprised to see this on the list. I use it to help me sleep, but not every night. Maybe, I should change that. I have read where sleep is important to a cancer patient. 
There are 7 more suggestions that would help to prevent breast cancer from recurrence. I will share the link again:
13 Supplements to Prevent Breast Cancer Recurrence I will also state again, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. I have a friend that did check with her doctor and because she is going through chemo-therapy right now, she was told to get off of some of the suggested supplements she was on. She was also told that she could resume after she was finished with her chemo-therapy. 
Another supplement not on the list in this article is St. John's Wart. It is a natural anti-depressant. My oncologist also knows that I use this supplement. 
This is not the only article available if you have questions about your diet. This is just the one that spoke to me. If you do have questions about your diet, your doctor can also make suggestions. 
If you making this journey as I am, may God bless you with His healing touch. I know he loves you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment