Friday, February 21, 2014

Getting outside Time

Scripture of the Day:

Isaiah 61: 3
          The Spirit of the Lord has anointed me…to appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of Joy of mourning, the garment of praise for the Spirit of heaviness; that they might be called tries of righteousness and they shall build the wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations. 

  Becky gave me this in defining my role in a situation that  

  May or may not have anything to do with breast cancer.


July 30, 2011
My Hayes family stepped up with $166.32 towards my race for the cure. Joyce gave $100.00. I just bawled. The theme this year was pink and it was great.
I had my last treatment last Tuesday. I am so tired. But I’m cross-stitching and working on my prayer blanket. I’m getting my scriptures and prayers on the computer. I need to get this journal there and my website up. David is still shaving his head. He says he’ll keep doing it until mine starts growing back. We’ve been making use of the pool in the morning and evenings. It helps to walk around in it. My legs don’t ache so bad. I am sleeping in socks and gloves after I lather myself with this horse liniment. My hands and heals are peeling raw.

I don’t get out of bed without thinking of cancer. On  Facebook, friends are announcing more and more of it. Will it ever stop?!!


February 21, 2014

My sister gave the scripture above because I kept asking why me. I felt there was a purpose for this disease coming on me. Maybe it was just my way of making something of a hard time, if I thought there was a purpose. I'd gladly go through it again if it saved someone else from having to, like my mother, daughter and all the other women in my family. I know it won't happen that way. The only thing I can really be is a role model for them to look to if they become afflicted with some horrible disease. I may not be out on the streets preaching mammograms nor am I in any lab working towards cures. But in my quiet way, I think I'm making a difference. The number of women that scheduled their mammogram because of me is heart warming. It may not save them but early detection is key.

With the chemo treatments I couldn't be out in the sun. You need to understand that I'm a summer person. It was one of the hardest things I had to do...stay inside! We have an above ground pool and I walk in it almost every day of the summer. David, my husband, got a cover to build over it so that I could go out and sit in the shade while others enjoyed the pool. In the morning, it was shaded and I could go out and get my exercise. 

I remember how raw my hands and feet were. It was so painful. But this liniment was very helpful. It made it easier to get around on my feet the next day, because I didn't miss any work over it.  It's a very thick liniment meant for horses and I loved it.

I don't get up in the morning any more and the first thing I think is about cancer. But after almost 3 years, I still don't go a day without thinking about it. It's not so bad though, now. I have never been so blessed and I will talk to anyone that asks questions. It is still depressing how many people announce on Facebook someone that they know that has been diagnosed with something horrible and need prayers with I gladly give. Oh for a world full of cures. 

If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with His healing touch. I know He loves you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment