Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Be In Control of you recovery.

Scripture of the Day:

Jeremiah 30:17

I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord, because they, called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after.



October 25, 2011
My students have been great. One young lady made me a cake, wrote me a beautiful poem and gave me a breast cancer bracelet, pink soaps and pink candle.  The soaps and candle pertained to the poem.
One the 15th of October, we did our walk for the cure. Our team raised $5200. Sarah Blanchard put me over the top the week before the race. Princess Anne had a “jeans day” for me and raised $734.00. Our team was Emily (sleep-in), Tuesday, Susan, Cara, Joe ( a friend of Tuesday) , David, Evan and Hailey, Mom , Nancy, Sara, Savannah, Breanna and Marlee, Bailie Winegardner and her sister Haley. It was a beautiful day.  Sara and I didn’t think we’d make it the whole 5k. But we did.  Channel 13 had a camera and Nancy pulled me over to them. It wasn’t bad and of course it made the news because I got upset.

After the race, we came back and had a big family dinner at Mark and Susan’s. Susan made all the food. It was great. It was a great weekend. Oh yes! We even saw a pod of dolphin as we came down the boardwalk.

Becky was really upset about not being there. So I sent her the pictures. We had two discs. I also sent the “bib”, they had our names on them. There was also a pom-pom. There were golden rod sheets. On one side it said, “I race for the Memory of…or “in celebration of …” I’m excited to see the scrapbook. Becky is really good at that.
I went to school that next Monday. I got an email from a student. He’d decorated it up with breast cancer background and wished me luck with my surgery the next day.
On  October 18th, I had my surgery with the breast implants. Like the mastectomy, I had to shower Monday night and again Tuesday morning. We didn’t have to be there until 9 am. They tried 4 different places on my left arm to put in an IV. He got on in but as soon as he released the medicine the blood vessel blew. His name was Lt. Tim. I fully expected that I’d never remember his name until he started having IV problems. He finally called in Commander Dan. My Iv went in my right ankle. I told him “now I’d never forget his name” and laughing.

David had a hard tie with some of it. Every time they poked me, of course, I’d flinch. He had a hard time with what I had to go through to get an IV started. The ankle worked. He kissed me before I went in. I don’t remember anything after that. The next thing I remember is the lady trying to wake me up, I just wanted to be left alone. I don’t’ remember getting to my room or what time. David says it was round 3:30/4:00.  They gave me a narcotic for the pain. I took one bite of the chicken. They had to detach me so I could go to the restroom. I fortunately got there before I puked up everything I hadn’t eaten since 6:00 the night before. It happens every time. Amazingly, I was not in as much pain as I expected.  It was tolerable. But after a while I got tired of tolerating it. All I wanted was Tylenol. But no!!! I refused the narcotic. So they gave me something that I could only take twice a day. I took ti at 10 PM. It wasn’t really all that helpful. At about 4:30, I was read for Tylenol. They wouldn’t give my anything until 10 am. Even in all of it – was never intolerable pain. Then the interns can’t get it straight. One told me the drain would com out before I left. Another said I’d have to wear it until I came back for my recheck. This guy said that he recommended a narcotic for my pain. He couldn’t understand that I refused. He said he was going to write a script for it to go home. I told him not to bother. But he wasn’t going to give me ibuprofen and Tylenol. When he left, I told the nurse that I just wait for my real doctor (Dr. Taylor). She busted out laughing.  So I told God “I’m in your hands”  which is what I said to him on the way to the hospital. I had a fever and was afraid they’d tell me they wouldn’t operate. Anyway, the pain disappeared and has not returned!! The only reason I’ve taken the Tylenol is because of the itching which means it’s healing.
On Thursday, we went over to the Komen Center to give them the $85 from Mom.
Just like the mastectomy, we scheduled some kind of outing. On Friday, we went back to the hospital at about noon. Dr. Taylor took my drain out. I don’t have another appointment until November 9th.

After that, we went to the Homarama. We drove around in circles for a while. There were 9 houses. By about the 4th or 5th house, I had to quit climbing stairs. House #7 was dedicated to breast cancer They had people writ  on quilting squares. I wish I had taken a picture of min. I think I wrote “Faith, Hope, Family and Friends will et you through.”

They houses were pretty outlandish, but we saw a couple of ideas. On Saturday, we took the dogs to the groomers. Then, we finally went out to the Jackson Grey’s Memorial. This was the name of a local troop from the Civil War.
After that, we went to look at RVs. Wow. There were some beautiful ones.  One was $250,000 marked down to $150,000 because they wanted to get it on the road. It had a diesel engine.

In the meantime, I’ve been cross-stitching my angel. I am so close to being done.
I went back to school today. It went pretty well. I got  large part of IEPs and meetings done and set up.

March 12, 2014
We had a great time walking in the Race for the Cure. Being a busy family that traveled from Ohio for that, we have not been able to do it again. 

I've been preaching staying busy and getting out. I still do. Don't give yourself time to mope. I have and it just brings me down. Of course, you'll have days when you do. Please be able to forgive yourself when that happens. 

Don't let the doctors dictate those things you can control. Of course when they tell me I have to take the Letrozole for the 5 years, I will. But when they tell me that I have to take a narcotic that will make me sick for the pain, I put my foot down.  There are some things that you can control. Don't let others do that. 

If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with his healing touch. I know He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment