Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Treatment is Working

Scripture of the Day:
1st John 5: 14-15
          This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us – whatever we ask we know that we have what we asked of him.



August 29, 2011
I went to Colonial Williamsburg on the 18th with Bryan, Eiki and Hailey. I’m still trying to get out of the house often. Apparently, I overdid it.  Monday the 22nd, I went to Patient First. I had congestion, headache and dizzy. It was all so scary. Before you got sick and you went to the doctor. Now it’s a whole new thing. Now your afraid of what they may find. I had a sinus infection and dehydration. But Tuesday moring the dizziness got so bad I couldn’t move, much less cross the room It felt like th day I almost passed and was readmitted with pneumonia. So now I was really scared. Susan drove me to Portsmouth Naval Hospital and David met us there. They put a mask on me before I left triage so I wouldn’t get germs and put me in a room instead of one of the bays with a wrap-around curtain. Turns out I also had a urinary tract infection. They also gave me a bag of saline drip. I’m  thinking Patient First should’ve addressed the dehydration. This was the day of the 5.8 earthquake. My gurney wanted to take off across the room. David didn’t feel it. He was in the hall walking toward the food court
My fingernail on my index finger started feeling funny. Then it started feeling like it could come off. It hurt while I was doing something. It felt better with a band aid wrapped tight. When I took the band aid off today, ¾ of the fingernail had turned white. I came home from work (1st day back for the new school year) and called the nurse at my oncologist’s office. .She said it could be an effect of the medication in the “next day” shot. But since it’s been 6 weeks since my last chemo treatment, it shouldn’t be happening. I’m crying again because yet another thing is happening. So we go to Patient First again. Everyone must be sick today. We were thinking about having our mail forwarded to the doctor’s office. (Our attempt at humor). Turns out it is chemo-related. He said it wasn’t a fungus and that he’d never seen anything like it. He said all my fingernails are affected. I cut back all of my nails and he gave me a metal protector to keep from hurting when I know it against something. It does feel better knowing. But, I’m getting really tired of new things happening.  I see the oncologist tomorrow. I have several things to ask her.


While we were in the waiting room at Patient First, a woman walked by us. I find myself looking at other women’s breasts. This woman’s were not right. One was bigger than the other and were uneven. Later, she asked what kind of cancer I had. (We seem to recognize each other often). When I told her breast cancer, she said she was a 33 year survivor. She said she had a friend who had a nurse got in her face and told how bad chemo was going to get. She then told her that every time she lost a hair on her head or a fingernail, she wanted her to remember when that happens it’s working. When her friend went back after chemo to thank the nurse, no one had ever heard of the nurse. The strange thing is, I didn’t tell her that I was the doctor for a fingernail. It was strange. She got called back first, so we never saw her again.

March 5, 2014
I remember this. It was so bazaar. This woman that told me her story without knowing why I was there. I do want to remember what she said...that if the side effects are there it is working. I had forgotten that. It sounded very encouraging then and still does now.

If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with His healing touch. I know He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment