Friday, October 25, 2013

And the Decisions keep on being requested


Scripture of the Day:
Luke 4:40
Now when the sun was setting, all they had sick with divers diseases  brought them unto him, and he laid his hands on them and healed them.
 
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the light of the White House are shining Pink.
 
 
 
March 16, 2011
Dr. Taylor is the Plastic Surgeon. I left there confused all over again. I can have implants and all the risks that normally go with it. Mentor is the company that Portsmouth Naval Hospital uses. I can choose between silicon and saline. Silicon is more natural in appearance. But if saline breaks, it is safer for my insides.
Or I could have natural reconstruction. They use my body fat to reconstruct. It would be taken from my abdomen. Then blood circulation would come from my rectus abdomi or arteries in my legs or from latissimas dorsi. My COPD could be a problem. I’ll have to tell him about that. This could take as much as a year. It all depends on whether I have radiation or chemotherapy.  Based on current information, they say I’m at stage 1 Breast Cancer.
He said so much stuff that I wrote down. Yet another decision. Our immediate thought was to plan on implants. During the mastectomy they have to place expanders to stretch the skin. We could make a more permanent decision later. This way we still have options. I say we. David is in this every step of the way.
Dr. Wilson is the general surgeon.
Before I say anything else here, I want to add that Emily sent me a beautiful bracelet once she found out. It was from Cancerversary. The following is engraved on the inside of it:
 
What Cancer Cannot Do
It cannot cripple love,
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories
It cannot quench the spirit.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
There was also a pink ribbon engraved with the words.  What wonderful words of encouragement!
Now Dr. Wilson…she just gave me an exam to see how the lumpectomy was doing and Sonoma gave us instructions for before and after surgery. You know the deal, what you can or cannot eat before surgery and all the things you have to avoid after surgery like not lifting anything over 10  lbs.  Sonoma said that they did update red cross for Emily. We don’t know yet if she will be able to come home.
October 25, 2013
I recall so many decisions that had to be made and always in a short period of time. It's one of the things that bothered me. They were in such a rush to get this tumor out of me. I know, I know. It had to come out as soon as possible. But it was all so overwhelming. But through everything, I have had such wonderful family and friends. I still have the bracelet that my daughter sent to me. The thought was just so beautiful to me.
If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with his healing touch. I know He loves you.
 
Teeny Tots Treasures I maintain two blogs. You may find this one of interest on a lighter note. The crafting that I do has also kept me sane.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment