Monday, November 25, 2013

Little Steps in Getting Well

Scripture of the Day:

Luke 9:1 (NLT)

            One day Jesus called together his twelve disciples and gave them power and authority over all demons and to heal all diseases.


April 18, 2011
It’s been 3 weeks since the surgery. It doesn't seem that long. And the sensations have changed. My weight has gone up and down since then. Right now, I’m down 2 ½ lbs. I was starting to use less pain killers, but there are new sensations. I don’t know what to think about it. The itching I understand, even the pins and needles. But it feels like someone shortened my muscle under my right arm. I am finally getting feeling back there. I’m able to cross-stitch and making a big dent in my angel. David is back to work with full days. I can’t get comfortable to sleep. There’s still enough to feel like I’m cutting off circulation if I hold arms too snug to my body. I so wish this was over. I'm still having weird dreams. All I remember are snippets of them.

Some may disagree, but Shiloh and Gracie are fighting and I think it’s over me. Shiloh’s attitude toward me has changed since I got home from the hospital. She’s much more attentive to me. So is Gracie. Whenever they get into it, Shiloh is trying to herd Gracie away from me and Gracie isn't having any part of it. Since I have months of recovery and at least one more surgery, this can’t go on.

Another thing… there are some changes. Last summer, I wasn't metabolizing vitamin D. My white blood cell count was up. I haven’t been able to grow fingernails for a couple of years. The last several times I've been to the doctor, my blood pressure has been between 135/150 over 85/95. My pulse was always around 90-95. Since my surgery, my blood pressure is consistently at 112/70 with a pulse rate of 77 (the pulse of a 13 year old female). And fingernails are growing!!!

November 25, 2013
If you're looking for the silver lining, think about all the things that was going wrong with your health before your breast cancer diagnosis. I'm fairly certain that all of us had clues that something was at least different if not wrong. If you haven't had your surgery yet, you may notice that some of those issues will disappear as you recover. Back then, I was on 10,000 mg. of Vitamin D a week. Now they won't let me take any. They don't want me to over dose on that or Calcium. And after 2 1/2 years my blood pressure is still at the 120/80 range and my blood pressure remains in the upper 70s and very low 80s. My fingernails, and I keep them quite long, are still not growing the way I want. Maybe that just goes with age. I am about to turn 61. 

I have a sister that has adopted 3 special needs children. Savannah is from Viet Nam and came to us with a heart murmur she has since grown out of. There is Christian who mother abused substances. He is an African-American and is legally blind. Marlee is a child of Puerto Rican decent. She has tubular sclerosis. My brother-in-law has written a book about adoption as an older couple. He is my age and she is almost 50. They also have their own children that they gave birth to and are now adults. The following is the link to his book if you or someone you know is interested in adoption, especially if you are a little older than the usual adoptive parents.
If you are making this journey as I am, may God bless you with his healing touch. I know He loves you


No comments:

Post a Comment